Musee des Travaux Publics, Auguste Perret, Paris, 1936-46
Where is the room that everyone will have to see each other at one point or another?
While designing the Pixar Studios the decision was made to place all of the restrooms within the same vicinity because it creates an opportunity for all of their employees to meet… even if you have to walk 20 minutes to get there.
A star fort located in Netherlands. It was built in 1593 with the purpose to control the only road between Germany and the city of Groningen, which was controlled by the Spaniards.
#42 Master the way you speak as you would master the way you design.
We spend so much time with mastering our craft of designing and building, but when it comes to presenting or even chatting about our projects with a friend over lunch, we are not as prepared as we should be.
To be a great designer you must be able to speak well about your work. This is especially important when entering the professional field. You have to be able to speak to clients and the way you speak to them will dictate how much they believe in you to make them happy.
Communication is the key to success.
If you find yourself unconfident in the way you present, here are a few ways you can practice how to speak well:
- Watch presentations and lectures. You will subconsciously pick up on how people speak and communicate with their audience.
- Read. The more you read, the more you will pick up on sentence structure and hierarchy of information. Books are written to capture and organize an originally scattered idea.
- Talk to people about your projects. If the only time you talk about your project to someone else is during a jury, you’re doing it wrong.
- Write about your project. I’m not saying write a book, but even writing a little about your project will allow you to think in a different direction. Instead of asking “should I glue this here?” you ask “Is this what I mean to say?” There is a difference.Honestly, being able to speak well is something you should just do no matter what field you are in. Its a hard truth, but Life treats people better when they speak well.
* I wrote this one in honor of finals month. Good luck with finals everybody!! I know its getting close!! :)